The established schedule for the entry of visitors will be from 5 am to 10 am in dry season and from 8 a.m. m. at 12 m. d. in rainy season.
Payment of the admission fee will be made ONLY by electronic payment on the spot (debit and credit cards), with rates of 1000 colones for residents and 12 dollars for non-residents, in addition to sales tax. The reservation of tickets will be by phone at numbers 2559-0117 and 8534-1063 from Monday to Saturday from 8 a.m. at 3:30 p.m., but they are already working on an online reservation system which will be implemented later.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the groups must operate at 50% of their capacity, that is, 17 people maximum per group and must be accompanied MANDATORY throughout the tour by an accredited and trained tour guide according to the operating contract established between SINAC – Central Conservation Area, FUNDECOR and the USURÉ Association. Payment for the guide service must be made directly to the USURÉ association.
The hike starts at Finca Monte Calas to the crater viewpoint area. It consists of an ascent of about 5 kilometers, on a road with steep slopes and loose material (ballast). The ascent will begin at an altitude of 2,657 m and will culminate with the summit at 3,340 m.
The walk is NOT suitable for people with heart, respiratory or mobility problems, the difficulty level of the walk is high; Appropriate clothing and shoes must be worn for gravel roads; the use of other types of clothing is recommended for extreme weather conditions (high radiation, low temperatures, rain, hail); always use sunscreen; carry energy foods and hydration.
Provisions. At all times, the provisions on the established sanitary protocols and all the indications issued by the national park officials, as well as the guides responsible for the route, must be attacked.
- In dry season six (6) groups of tourists will enter per day and in rainy season five (5) groups, in periods of one hour each, which will favor the flow of people in the different visiting points.
- Each group of visitors will have a MAXIMUM stay of 4 hours which includes the ascent, admission payment, induction talk, stay at crater viewpoints (30 minutes maximum) and their respective descent to the starting site.
- ONLY children over 12 years of age with their respective minor identity and accompanied by a responsible adult will enter. This is due to the difficulty of walking and the ability to respond to an evacuation.
- The use of protective equipment provided to visitors from the toll booth to the crater viewpoint sector is mandatory.
- Visitors must stay in a group throughout the tour, abiding by the sanitary measures established by the Ministry of Health.
- Being a national park, no rock or plant samples can be collected.
- Each visitor must take their waste.
- You should not carry music equipment or speak loudly so as not to disturb the fauna.
- The use of drones is not allowed.