Next Monday, August 31, the country celebrates the “Day of the Black Person and Afro-Costa Rican Culture”, a date that also marks the closing of the “Historical Month of Afro-descendants”, for which, from the Ministry of Culture and Youth They carry out various activities in order to enhance the cultural and heritage values of the Afro-Costa Rican population.
Additionally, on other topics, this weekend will offer other cultural activities, such as the premiere of the “Virtual Season” of the National Symphony Orchestra; below, the detail:
The Government of the Republic, through its various public institutions, celebrates in August the “Historical Month of Afro-descendants”, with documentaries, talks, talks, photographic exhibitions, concerts and gastronomic festivals, which on this occasion are virtual, through digital platforms, in the wake of the COVID19 pandemic.
These initiatives are carried out with the purpose of highlighting the contribution of Afro-descendants in Costa Rica, as established by Law N ° 9526, in force since 2018. You can consult the complete program at: https://tinyurl.com/y5syyph3
Precisely, the Ministry of Culture and Youth has several of these activities scheduled, among which the following stand out:
- Presentation of the documentary video: Colonial Tour: “Photographs and Histories of Historical Vestiges”, by the Puebla de los Pardos Cultural Association, on August 27, at 6 p.m., on the Facebook Centro de la Cultura Cartaginesa.
- Forum on racism in Costa Rica, with the Aserrí Public Library Reading Club, on August 28, at 1:30 p.m., through the Zoom platform. More information on the Facebook Aserrí Public Library.
- Virtual conversation on Afro-Costa Rican Gastronomy, organized by the Program for the Promotion of Peace of the Council of the Young Person. On August 28, at 4 p.m., through Facebook Live of the Young Person Council.
- Presentation of the video “Presence of Afro-descendants in Costa Rica”, organized by the National Library of Costa Rica and the Chair of African and Caribbean Studies of the University of Costa Rica. On August 31, at 12 noon, on Facebook Live of the National Library of Costa Rica.
- Closure of the Puebla de los Pardos Cultural Conference, by the Puebla de los Pardos Cultural Association. On August 31, at 6 p.m., on the Facebook Centro de la Cultura Cartaginesa.