Concerts for all tastes and ages is the musical offer that some of the Concert Bands that are part of the Ministry of Culture and Youth will offer these last days of February. Also, on February 23 and 27 the Limón Concert Band will release the album “Sonoridades del Caribe Costarricense”.
Attend and approach music with your family and friends! Next, we share the full agenda of activities:
Heredia’s concert band
Troop concerts, of popular Costa Rican music, as well as Beethoven is part of the repertoire that the Heredia Concert Band will perform, in these last days of February.
- Traditional Retreta in the Park with Costa Rican and popular music, Thursday, February 19, 5 p.m., Kiosk of the Nicolás Ulloa Central Park, in Heredia.
- Traditional Recreation month of love and friendship, Sunday, February 23, 10 a.m., Kiosk of the Nicolás Ulloa Central Park, in Heredia.
- Annual Funeral March Concert, Thursday, February 26, 6:30 p.m., Church of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception, Heredia Centro.
- Special concert of the series: “2020-250 years after Beethoven’s birth”, Thursday, February 27, 6 p.m., Herediano Omar Dengo Cultural Center.
During the concerts the following pieces will be performed: Piel Canela, The day you want me, With you in the Distance, Tell him that for me not fear, Egmont’s Overture by Ludwig van Beethoven, concert for Strauss’s horn, Julio Fonseca’s Great Symphony Fantasy, among others.
Guanacaste concert band
With songs like: Mambo #5, “Fragmentos de la ópera de Carmen”, “Las Bodas de Fígaro”, “El Gallito – paso doble”, “La Murga de Panamá”, “Mamá Eva” – danzón para Marimba y Banda, “Piratas del Caribe”, among others, la Banda de Conciertos de Guanacaste, It will cheer up those who attend their last concerts this February. The agenda is as follows:
- Didactic concert, February 20, 8 a.m., Barrio Moravia school, the idea is for children to interact with musicians of the Band and learn in an entertaining way about history, music and instruments. In the end they will be given an ecological message.
- Ensemble Concert, February 23, 10 a.m., Bagaces Park.
- Closure of the 1st Diana of the Civic Festivities of Liberia, February 27, 6 a.m., Guanacaste Concert Band building.
- Didactic concert, February 28, 8 a.m., Barrio Nazaret de Liberia school.
Cartago concert band
You will have a concert for Spanish music lovers, under the direction of María del Pilar Redondo, this Friday, February 21, at 7 p.m., in the Municipal Amphitheater of Cartago, free for all audiences. The repertoire will include pieces such as: Capricho Español by Nikolái Rimski-Kórsakov, Royal Nest of Gavilanes by Cristóbal López Gándara, The Reliquary of José Padilla, and many more.
Limón concert band
The Limón Concert Band will have two activities to launch the new album “Sonoridades del Caribe Costarricense”.
The repertoire chosen for the first album of the Limón Concert Band includes three original works for the concert band, by the Berrocal teacher “A Limón por Turrialba… and Guayabo”, a musical journey from Curridabat to Limón through Turrialba and Guayabo.
“Fantasía Negra” original work of the master Alberto Portuguez, in this work a single melody is used to walk through the places where black roots music has been manifested: Africa, Cuba, New York, Jamaica and ends with the Limonense calypso. And, finally, of the teacher Alonso Torres, “Caribe Lúdico”, a work as a theme and variations, inspired by Limonense music and dedicated to the Limón Concert Band.
The album also includes the calypso, “El Mar”, original by maestro Moisés Serrano (saxophonist who is a pensioner of the BCL), and the soca “Bacanal en Chirripó”, by the late Oscar Sequeira, both issues arranged by maestro Periquín, as he popularly knows Don Victor Hugo Berrocal.
The objective of this album is to preserve and document the work that the Limón Concert Band has developed in the last 20 years, by mixing through arrangements and compositions the music of the Costa Rican Caribbean with music for winds and percussion.
The album will be released on two dates:
- Launch of “Sonoridades del Caribe Costarricense”, Sunday February 23, 7 p.m., Casa de la Cultura de Limón. Free entrance.
- Launch of “Sonoridades del Caribe Costarricense”, Thursday, February 27, 7 p.m., Teatro de la Danza, located in the National Center of Culture (Cenac). Free entrance.
Source: Ministerio de Cultura y Juventud, 2020