How about starting the year by testing your skills in painting, drawing, cartooning, origami or expanding your knowledge of film, wildlife, geology, astronomy, sports or creative expression?
If your answer is yes, the institutions that are part of the Ministry of Culture and Youth invite you to participate in their different summer workshops, where you can learn about all these topics while having fun.
The workshops will be held in various parts of the country for children, young people, adults and older adults. In addition, the vast majority are free of charge.
Here is the full schedule of activities:
Museo Nacional de Costa Rica
Twelve workshops on nature, painting, film, wildlife, cartoons, origami, among others, will give the National Museum of Costa Rica (MNCR), from January 13 to 24, from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. and from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m., according to workshop, timetable and requirements. Workshops are held at MNCR facilities in San Jose.
For details and information on each workshop, see: https://bit.ly/2sZC2NN or tel: 2211-5750, 2211-5751
Sistema Nacional de Bibliotecas Públicas
Libraries of the National Library System will hold workshops for the public of all ages in various parts of the country.
Biblioteca Nacional de Costa Rica
- Workshop [ Enjoying the Holidays, a workshop for children from 4 to 12 years of age. January 14, from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m., National Library.
- Workshop Creating My Cartoon. On January 16, 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. Email Registration: [email protected]
- Talleres Disfrutando las vacaciones Topic: Literature. Aimed at children from 4 to 12 years old. By the writer Ani Brenes. January 21 from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- Creating my cartoon. For children and young people from 8 to 16 years. January 23, from 10 a.m. to 12 noon. Registration by post: [email protected]
Biblioteca Pública Alajuela
- Holidays in my library: traditional games, aimed at boys and girls, from 7 to 12 years. January 16, from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- Holidays in my library: Cinema in my library. For children, from 7 to 12 years. January 22, from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. Free.
Biblioteca Pública Tres Ríos
- Workshop holidays in my library to promote reading. January 16 at 1:30 p. m.
Parque La Libertad
Learn about drawing, geology, astronomy, sports, creative expression, among others, with La Libertad Park (PLL). Registration is open from Monday to Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and from 1 p.m. to 4:30 p. m. Registration closes on January 17.
The workshops start on January 20 and end on February 7, with a schedule of 9 a.m. 4 p.m., at PLL facilities. Environmental workshops will also be held from 20 to 28 January, from 8:30 a.m. to 11 a. m., at the PLL’s Environmental Management Center. Room for 25 people per day.
Registration and information at tel.: 2276-9400, ext. 2072, 2080, 2094. La Libertad Park is located in Fatima de Desamparados.
Taller Nacional de Danza
For dance lovers, the National Dance Workshop will offer workshops on lyric jazz, ballet, urban dance, hip hop, contemporary dance and belly dance or belly dance. For children, girls, young people and adults, until 31 January, with daytime and night hours. Monthly cost: 28,250 colones; individual lessons, 5,650 colones. Registration can be made by deposit or transfer. Information at tel.: 2223-3319.
- Jazz Lyric, 12 to 17 years, Tuesdays and Thursdays, 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Urban dance, public of 12 years onwards, Tuesdays and Thursdays, 11 a.m. to 12
- Ballet, public from 6 to 9 years, Wednesdays and Fridays, 2 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Ballet, public from 9 to 12 years, Wednesdays and Fridays, 3 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Contemporary dance, public 12 to 17 years, Wednesdays and Fridays, 4 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Hip hop, 9 to 12 year old audience, Wednesday and Friday, 2:45 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- Belly dance, public 15 years and up, Thursdays and Saturdays, 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
Museo Rafael Ángel Calderón Guardia
Learn about acting, shadow theatre, ceramics, basic binding and poster design, with the free carvings that will be offered from January 15 at the Rafael Ángel Calderón Guardia Museum, located in Barrio Escalante. Here is the course offer:
- Coming up on the show:
- Group 1: Wednesday, January 15, 9 a.m., 12 noon. Teacher, Gerardo Selva.
- Group 2: Friday, January 17, 9 a.m. to 12 noon. Teacher, Gerardo Selva.
- Poster design: Monday 10, Thursday 13, Monday 17 and Thursday 20 February, from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m., for people over 15 years old. Professor Eric Hidalgo.
- Basic Woodworking Workshop: From 17 to 21 February, from 9 a.m. to 12 noon, directed for people over 18 who have some experience in manual plastic work. Teacher Juan Carlos Corrales.
- Basic binding: Monday 24, Wednesday 26 and Friday 28 February, from 9 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Teacher Salomón Cháves.
- Shadow theatre: Tuesday 28, Wednesday 29 and Thursday 30 January, from 8 a.m. to 12 noon. For public 8 to 12 years. Teacher Mauricio Rodríguez.
- Introduction to ceramics: Tuesday 28, Wednesday 29 and Thursday 30 January, from 1:30 p.m. to 4 p.m. For those over 15 years old. Teacher: Mauricio Rodríguez.
The workshops start on January 15th, have limited space and require registration by post: [email protected] or 2222-6392 / 2255-1218 with Daniela Row or Damaris García.
All workshops will be held at the Calderón Guardia Museum located in Barrio Escalante, Santa Teresita Church, 100 m. north.
José Figueres Ferrer Cultural and Historical Centre
A varied offer that includes guitar workshops, ukulele, piano, violin, singing, musical appreciation, as well as musical stimulation for adults, drawing, theatre and folk dance, is part of the program that the Centro Cultural e Histórico José Figueres Ferrer, located in San Ramón, will offer for this vacation. The workshops start on 21 January.
Get to know the details of each workshop, as well as timetables and investment at the following link: https:/tinyurl.com/qnauwmv
Museum of Contemporary Art and Design
Come to the Museum of Contemporary Art and Design (MADC) and enjoy a play space, combined with self-love, love for the planet, respect, coexistence and contemporary art.
The MADC will have five workshop options for audiences from 4 years onwards. Here is the agenda:
- The Color Museum Workshop: Wednesday, January 22, from 9:30 a.m. to 12 noon, at the Video Library, Museum surroundings and halls. For people from 4 to 6 years old. Cost: 3.000 colones (includes materials).
- Workshop Are there clouds in the museum?: Thursday 23 January, from 9:30 a.m. to 12 noon, in the Video Library, surroundings and Museum rooms. For people from 7 to 9 years old. Cost: 3.000 colones (includes materials).
- Workshop of marbling on paper: Monday 27 January, from 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., in the Stack of Molasses. For people of different ages. Cost: 15,000 colones (including materials).
- Binding workshop: Tuesday 28 and Wednesday 29 January, from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., in Room 1 of the MADC. For people of different ages. Cost: 25,000 colones (including materials).
For more details on each of the workshops, please go to the site https://tinyurl.com/raph3o4Para. registrations must send an email to [email protected] or call tel:. 2223-6012, ext. 282, from 10 January.